Wednesday, August 20, 2008

New Year

Well, we have been homeschooling this year for about 3 weeks. We started on July 28th. Why July 28th? Because I couldn't get it ready by July 21st. LOL One real reason is that it is just so hot in July and August that the kids can't really go outside and play. They sweat before they get both feet outside the door. So, why not start school early then take breaks as we need or want to and finish early next year - when it is cooler. We finish school by lunch anyway and still have time to do other stuff like swim.
It is a new year so we haven't gotten into the swing of things yet. We are still on an abbreviated schedule mostly because I haven't figured out the best plan. Last year Tyler was in Kindergarten and his school time was very minimum. Plus, he wanted to just finish so he could play. That left more time to work with Bobbi. This year I have a First and Fourth grader, so I haven't figured out the schedule yet. First grade is much more intense than K, so I want to spend more time with ds. However, fourth grade is also more intense, and I must spend more time there also. We are working toward that independent work thing. I think kids should be able to work independantly, but each child is different and that independance comes at different times. I can see dd has come a long way with it since last year. I also feel that one of the reasons we homeschool is so that I can give that one-on-one attention. I want them to learn it right the first time because once it is learned incorrectly it is difficult to change. That said I want to teach them not just give them a book and say have at it. That takes time.
Another thing I struggle with is the clock. It is, by far, my worst enemy. I am a schedule person and if I feel I am off schedule too much, I get frustrated. That's not good. I am working on that. Lots of prayer.

0 comments:

Followers

About This Blog

Welcome to my blog. I am a homeschooling mom to two wonderful children. I love science and photography and often combine the two. I am an ultra conservative Christian and have been married to my wonderful hubby for 14 years.

One of my favorite Lapbooking sites

Labels

anatomy (2) apologia (6) astronomy (2) awesome (1) backyard (1) baptism (1) beach (3) bees (1) beth moore (1) bible (1) bike (1) birds (2) birthday (2) boats (1) botany (1) broken arm (2) candy (1) cast (1) caterpillar (3) chicks (1) chocolate (1) church (3) contest (1) cooking (1) corn (1) curriculum (2) doctor (1) eclipse (1) experiment (2) faces (11) Faith (1) field trip (3) fish (1) fix it friday (3) frogs (3) fun (1) garden (1) glilder (1) God (1) harvest (1) hermit crabs (2) homeschool (2) hornworm (2) hospital (1) I heart faces (3) insects (5) kids (5) kildeer (2) lapbook (1) Manduca nature (2) mud (2) Munchy (1) music (1) nature (16) nintendo (1) ocean (1) outdoors (3) party (1) patience (1) pet (3) photography (13) planetarium (1) projects (2) pumpkin (1) RA (2) reading (2) rosemary (1) Royal Ambassador (2) sad (1) school (7) science (9) scooter (1) sea world (1) shamu (1) sled (1) snow (2) spelling (2) squash (1) sun (1) swallowtail (2) SWR (2) tadpoles (2) tobacco (1) trees (1) Tyler (3) vacation (3) whales (1) winter (2) writing (1)

background

Counter

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP