Thursday, June 18, 2009

All Grown Up

Well, 6 of our tadpoles are tadpoles no more. They are frogs. I have decided that tonight we will set them free. I think they might starve if we don't. I'm not much of a mother frog. I catch bugs, but I'm not sure they eat them. The are just so cute!! I love to watch them.

Remember what the looked like just a couple of weeks ago? See his tail. It is all gone and he can breathe on land now.

The little guy on the rock is our newest convert. See how tiny he is and how almost transparent his little arms are. Compare his size with the one on the right.

Here's the whole family. There are 6 total. One is hiding at the top of the rock.

Only 2 or 3 are left that aren't complet frogs yet. This guy is close. He has arms and legs, but he still has a pretty long tail. It won't be long before he comes out of the water.

I have loved raising these tadpoles to become frogs. We fed them algae wafers and flake fish food as tadpoles. We then fed the frogs bugs and bloodworms. They had to be tiny bugs because they are tiny frogs. Actually, they are toads. To catch bugs, took my small fish net and a jar with some water in it to the tall grass in our yard. I made sure the water was dechlorinated just like the water in their tank. Then I set the jar down with the lid loose. I would pull the net through the grass and on to the jar after quickly removing the lid. The back on goes the lid just as quickly. Swirl goes the water in the jar to get their wings wet. That keeps them from flying away. Now I can pour them into the tank. Supper time. We also have ant in our house from time to time. Now is one of those times. We would gently squish the ants and put them in the frog water. I am tired of catching bugs, so tonight we set them free.

2 comments:

Dana Leeds June 18, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

They look so cute! I just posted photos of our ONE little toad yesterday - he has teeny, tiny back legs now.

What a neat way to feed your toads! Thanks for describing how you caught bugs for them. That should come in handy!

Joy ~ Doodlebug ~ June 22, 2009 at 12:55 PM  

Ms. Kim,

My brother had a frog for about 2 years, and he and mom would catch moths for him(actually, it was only Colt). Maybe, if you wanted to, you could do that.

Love, Joy =D

Followers

About This Blog

Welcome to my blog. I am a homeschooling mom to two wonderful children. I love science and photography and often combine the two. I am an ultra conservative Christian and have been married to my wonderful hubby for 14 years.

One of my favorite Lapbooking sites

Labels

anatomy (2) apologia (6) astronomy (2) awesome (1) backyard (1) baptism (1) beach (3) bees (1) beth moore (1) bible (1) bike (1) birds (2) birthday (2) boats (1) botany (1) broken arm (2) candy (1) cast (1) caterpillar (3) chicks (1) chocolate (1) church (3) contest (1) cooking (1) corn (1) curriculum (2) doctor (1) eclipse (1) experiment (2) faces (11) Faith (1) field trip (3) fish (1) fix it friday (3) frogs (3) fun (1) garden (1) glilder (1) God (1) harvest (1) hermit crabs (2) homeschool (2) hornworm (2) hospital (1) I heart faces (3) insects (5) kids (5) kildeer (2) lapbook (1) Manduca nature (2) mud (2) Munchy (1) music (1) nature (16) nintendo (1) ocean (1) outdoors (3) party (1) patience (1) pet (3) photography (13) planetarium (1) projects (2) pumpkin (1) RA (2) reading (2) rosemary (1) Royal Ambassador (2) sad (1) school (7) science (9) scooter (1) sea world (1) shamu (1) sled (1) snow (2) spelling (2) squash (1) sun (1) swallowtail (2) SWR (2) tadpoles (2) tobacco (1) trees (1) Tyler (3) vacation (3) whales (1) winter (2) writing (1)

background

Counter

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP