Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Nature Center


Last week, the kids and I went on a nature walk at a local nature center. It is amazing what all you can see if you just look.

My silly boy leading the way. He has two speeds: fast and faster.

This blue dragonfly was just beautiful sitting on the lilly leaf. Notice the duckweek all around it. Most people think duckweek is algae or moss, but it is a real plant with roots and leaves.

This one was just resting on a limb.

This goose family was out for a swim. There were lots of geese there that day. In fact, some trails were closed due to nesting geese.


This gosling was showing off his swimming/hunting skills for us.



Isn't he cute!!!!

Mr. Turtle came up to say hello.

Honeysuckle was in full bloom. I need some of this for our hummingbird garden we just planted. I'll post pictures of that when it is further along.


I'm not sure what this flower is, but it sure is interesting.

I found this interesting sight on the bottom of some leaves. I can only assume they are egg cases from some insect.

Isn't this bark interesting. I think it was a birch, but I am not sure.


This beautiful catkin was just sitting there waiting for me to take his picture. What is interesting is that we had just finished discussing what a catkin is in our Botany coop class. It is simply the male flower of a tree. Most are not quite as beautiful as this one.
Catkin?

We had a great time this day. We will go back soon to see the summer blooming flowers. I can't wait to see how much the goslings have grown.
l

2 comments:

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ June 3, 2009 at 5:15 PM  

Great pics, Kim! We're planning a trip over there real soon! The last time I was there, it was nesting season for the Canadian geese and I was chased down the trail! However, I had been warned...but I proceeded anyway...not real smart!

See ya Friday!
Tammy

Dana Leeds June 3, 2009 at 5:21 PM  

Great photos! And, great finds! (Oh, and I noticed on your "intro" that you're a science teacher - I "was" too!)

I believe the pointy "things" on the leaves that you thought were eggs are actually galls. I'm fascinated by galls! They come in many neat forms and are caused by insects - usually a very tiny type of wasp. I wrote about them here: http://alexml.blogspot.com/2007/10/more-on-oak-galls.html. Be sure to check out the links, too! There is a photo very much like yours.

Also, the last photo (white flower) is a philadelphia fleabane. I just love that name for some reason! :-)

Dana

Followers

About This Blog

Welcome to my blog. I am a homeschooling mom to two wonderful children. I love science and photography and often combine the two. I am an ultra conservative Christian and have been married to my wonderful hubby for 14 years.

One of my favorite Lapbooking sites

Labels

anatomy (2) apologia (6) astronomy (2) awesome (1) backyard (1) baptism (1) beach (3) bees (1) beth moore (1) bible (1) bike (1) birds (2) birthday (2) boats (1) botany (1) broken arm (2) candy (1) cast (1) caterpillar (3) chicks (1) chocolate (1) church (3) contest (1) cooking (1) corn (1) curriculum (2) doctor (1) eclipse (1) experiment (2) faces (11) Faith (1) field trip (3) fish (1) fix it friday (3) frogs (3) fun (1) garden (1) glilder (1) God (1) harvest (1) hermit crabs (2) homeschool (2) hornworm (2) hospital (1) I heart faces (3) insects (5) kids (5) kildeer (2) lapbook (1) Manduca nature (2) mud (2) Munchy (1) music (1) nature (16) nintendo (1) ocean (1) outdoors (3) party (1) patience (1) pet (3) photography (13) planetarium (1) projects (2) pumpkin (1) RA (2) reading (2) rosemary (1) Royal Ambassador (2) sad (1) school (7) science (9) scooter (1) sea world (1) shamu (1) sled (1) snow (2) spelling (2) squash (1) sun (1) swallowtail (2) SWR (2) tadpoles (2) tobacco (1) trees (1) Tyler (3) vacation (3) whales (1) winter (2) writing (1)

background

Counter

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP